How to Make a Bed
The complete bedding guide on how to make a bed easily and beautifully.
From choosing the right duvets and pillows to properly layering on high-quality sheets and luxurious duvet covers, learn how to make a bed beautifully with these helpful and easy bed-making tips and tricks.
With countless linen and bedding choices available at various price points and levels of quality, we’ve simplified what you need in order to make a bed:
- A quality mattress
- A luxury cotton fitted sheet
- A duvet cover
- 2 pillow cases
- 2 shams
Optional, but highly recommended:
- A breatheable cotton mattress pad
- 2 pillow protector covers
- A luxury cotton flat sheet
- A throw pillow
- Throw blanket
Start With the Foundation
- Step 1: Start with a comfortable mattress. The quality of your mattress is crucial to your sleep. Before you head out and shop for a mattress, it is important to know the type of sleeper you are. Side sleepers should seek something on the softer side while back or stomach sleepers should seek something more firm. Most mattresses have a lifespan of 8 to 10 years so it’s a good idea to invest in a good mattress.
- Step 2: Cover the mattress with an (optional) mattress pad. A mattress pad not only provides an extra layer of comfort, but it also protects your mattress from dust, spills and, dare we say, stains. Use a cotton (vs. a polyester) mattress pad for extra breathability during the hot summer nights and insulation for the winter.
Layer on the Luxury
Step 3: Put the fitted sheet on over the mattress pad. Pull the elastic corners of the fitted sheet over each corner of the mattress. the mattress pad. Curious to our thoughts on the best cotton sheets? We recommend investing in the highest-quality sheets you can afford. We all want our bed to look and feel good, so knowing these three tips will ensure you get quality sheets for the most blissful nights’ sleep.
- Material: Cotton comes in various levels of quality. However, no matter where the cotton is grown, 100% extra –long staple cotton is the best quality cotton. Cotton is a premium product and breathes much better than jersey, linen or other fiber blends such as polyester, bamboo or rayon.
- Weave: If you like smooth, almost silky sheets, you will like cotton sheets, woven with a sateen weave. For a lighter and crisper hand feel similar to a men’s shirt, you will like a percale weave.
- Thread count: Thread count matters, but be wary of anything above 430. To achieve thread counts higher than 430, bedding manufacturers often times use creative weaving and counting methods that do not necessarily result in a higher quality fabric. A high-quality sheet that will last you for years to come will be between 300-430 thread count.
- Step 4: Next comes your (optional) flat sheet. Lay your flat sheet on top of your fitted sheet with the finished side facing down. To get that super crisp and tucked in look, make hospital corners on all four corners. To make hospital corners, view this tutorial here on how to make hospital corners in a snap. Then fold over the top of the flat sheet.
- Interesting fact! Almost 40% of Americans do not sleep with a top sheet. We like taking off the top sheet as it usually becomes jumbled mess at the foot of the bed every morning and adds extra time to making the bed every morning. If you prefer sleeping without the top sheet but still like the look of the perfectly made bed, the Nova Duvet Cover may be for you. It’s the best way to make a bed every morning.
Step 5: Layer with a beautiful duvet cover and fluffy comforter. Put the duvet cover on the comforter. Here are three easiest ways we found on how to put a duvet cover on a comforter. Duvet covers are now universally recognized as the most easy-care bedding option for your bedroom. Use the duvet cover as a statement piece for your room. When choosing your duvet cover, think not only quality (material, weave and thread count) but also choose the design and style you like. It will set the tone for the entire bedroom and is easy to switch and style every season. To create the dreamiest bedroom, have fun with color, pattern or texture on your bed.
- Fun tip! Have some decorating fun by styling your duvet cover in different ways to achieve your desired look. Try making your bed with the duvet cover pulled all the way up, folded halfway to expose your beautiful sheets or, our personal favorite, folding it in thirds at the foot of your bed for a luxury hotel look.
Step 6: Finish with pillows. Having pillows on the bed completes the look of the bedroom. It is always a good idea to match at least two pairs of shams (euro, standard or king) with your duvet cover, layer next with your sleeping pillows (the ones that come with your sheet set), and then add more decorative shams and a decorative throw pillow or two to complete the bed. We recommend covering your sleeping pillows with a pillow protector covers for longevity.
- Fun tip! We like the odd pillow rule! There is such thing as too many pillows. When styling pillows on the bed, we like to think in odd numbers. 3, 5 or 7 pillows will remove symmetry and add interest to the eye.
There’s nothing like coming home to the perfectly made bed and having the most blissful nights’ sleep upon layers of designer bedding. Repeat Steps 4-6 every morning.
Love the look? See luxury cotton sheets, beautiful designer duvet covers, and premium cotton and down comforters, mattress pads, and pillows.